How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99978
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear receiver, I am an international student. I had signed

This answer was rated:

Dear receiver,

I am an international student. I had signed a lease with London Property Co. but the lease was incomplete because I havent give my credit card information yet. Can I walk away from the lease?

P.S. the landlord has changed our room from Unit 203,XXXXX London to Unit 304,XXXXX London ON without our permission.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Giving your credit card information is not relevant and normally you would be bound by the lease.

But if you are not getting the unit you agreed to take then the landlord has breached the lease. He is required to give you the exact unit on the lease.

If not you can walk away and the landlord must give you back any deposit if you made one.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lease website


Thank you for your answer. To follow up, after the change of room, my other friends have signed and submit the new lease. I havent submit it yet. Can I walk away then?

I cannot open that image for some reason. It just goes to a blank page.

In any event, you are not agreeing to the room change so you cannot be bound to take it.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I give you my user name and password XXXXX that you can see what my lease is like online?

I am not permitted to do that and the site will black it out.

But essentially the law is clear. You had a contract. The lease, verbal or written, is a contract.

You agreed to take one specific unit. You are not being given that unit.

The unit you are being asked to take is not what you want. And you have not agreed.

The landlord has breached the lease.

Why not confirm this by contacting the Landlord Tenant Board on Tuesday?

Here is the number to call:


They will re-open at 8:30 on Tuesday.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!

Related Canada Law Questions