Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

MY FAMILY AND I IMMIGGATED TO CANADA IN JULY 2010. MY FAMILY

MY FAMILY AND I IMMIGGATED TO CANADA IN JULY 2010. MY FAMILY STILL LIVE THERE. I GOT A CONTRACT AT A UNIVERSITY IN THE GULF, SO I COME TO CANADA DURING THE SUMMER VACATION (2 MONTHS +), MIDTERM VACATION. THIS IS BECAUSE I DIDNT FIND A JOB IN CANADA. A SITUATION?
1- CAN MY PR CARD BE RENEWED BASED ON THE PREENCE OF MY FAMILY.
2- IF MY CARD EXPIRES, IS THERE ANYWAY THAT I REAPPLY BASED ON THE PRESENCE OF MY FAMILY? HOW MUCH TIME DOES IT TAKE?
3- WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE IN SUCH
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Unfortunately, you cannot maintain your PR status on the basis of your family's presence in Canada.

You have to be physically present in Canada for 730 days in the five year period after being granted status.

The exceptions are if you are working for a Canadian employer or accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse then you would be considered to be physically present in Canada for those days.

You will need to apply over again.

But this time your spouse can sponsor you for PR status as your spouse is a permanent resident.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THANKS. I THINK YOU MAY NEED TO HAVE A LOOK AT THE LATEST CANDIAN LAWS. I THINK IT IS 730 DAYS IN THE LAST 4 (NOT 5) YEARS. IF MY WIFE SPONSORS ME AS SHE IS A PR, DOES THIS SPEED UP THE PROCESS?

REGARDS

It's in the last 5 years.

What you are thinking about in terms of the last 4 years is applying for citizenship.

For that you are looking at 1095 days in the past 4 years.

Spousal sponsorships are the fastest.