How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101376
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi Im a 36 yo Male from Qatar, i have my digree in Electrical

This answer was rated:

Im a 36 yo Male from Qatar, i have my digree in Electrical engineering from the USA, and a master degree in Project Management from University of Huston. Currently I hold a senior position in an investment bank. I would like to get the Canadian citizen so I can marry my partner of 4 years and later retire there. Canada has a fair justice and was one of the earlier countries that legalized gay marriages. My partner has an Iranian nationality however his mother is Qatari and he was born and raised in Qatar. He has a degree in Marketing from Qatar University and he is a freelance artist, he holds a position in a sport organization in marketing, also he had done few exhibitions and currently he was elected to with with many corporates to execute art projects.
We both are fluent in English and Arabic. Qatar and Iran both condemn being gay and if caught then one might be charged with the death penalty and social embaressment, this has cauased lots of emotional pressure on both of us and we cant see our long term future here, that’s why we want to live in Canada later on in life.

We dont intend to leave Qatar now as we have excellent jobs and we would like to build our future career and wealth.

Please advice if there is a way for both or one of us to get the citizenship although we have never lived in Canada before.

Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

You cannot get citizenship in Canada without first becoming permanent residents.

Then you must live in Canada for at least 1095 days in the 4 years immediately preceding that application.

To become permanent residents of Canada you need to have grounds to immigrate.

For example, the most common way to apply is as skilled worker.

Here is the link that will provide you with all the information you need about this process:

When you read all the information you will see that there are basically two ways people can apply under this category. One way is if their occupation falls within the list that they provide you.

The second way is if one of you gets a job offer and then this job falls within the categories and levels that is listed on the National Occupation List.

You will also see that there is an eligibility test you can take to see it looks like you are eligible. Only one of you has to be eligible and the other can come as part of that application.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you