Is it legal to start courting if there is a twenty two year

old male and a seventeen...
Is it legal to start courting if there is a twenty two year old male and a seventeen year old girl? In Alberta?
9/1/2013
Debra, Lawyer
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

There are no laws about courting.

There are laws about sexual activity with minors.

These laws are federal and apply throughout Canada.

Essentially, the age for consenting to sexual activity in Canada is 16. That means that in most cases a 16 year old can consent to sexual activity. In fact even a 14 year old can consent to sexual relations so long as the other person is not more than 5 years older. And even a younger person (age 12 and 13) can if the age difference is less than 2 years.

But if the older person is in a position of trust or authority or is exploiting the younger person then it's unlawful to have sexual relations until the younger party reaches the age of 18.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra, Lawyer
Debra, Lawyer