How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101458
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

live in Ontario Canada. My brother has a 13 year son. He leaves

This answer was rated:

live in Ontario Canada. My brother has a 13 year son. He leaves for days at a time.
Leaves his son alone in the house. I go and take my nephew to my home.
Everytime I approach my brother about leaving him with me on a permanent basis
he freaks. Child services just gets involved and nothing changes. They get involved
for a few months and than everything goes back to my brother leaving him for days on
end so he can go drink..Do I have any legals rights to remove my nephew. It is so sad...
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Is there a mother at all and if so what does she think of this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The mother comitted suicide

I am saddened to hear this.

You don't have a right to keep the child at this point.

But it seems clear that the child is not being taken care of adequately, let alone well, by the father and that you've been stepping in to ensure the child is being kept safe.

What you can do is apply to the Court for an Order for sole custody.

You would have to show the Court that this is in the best interests of the child. Based on these terrible facts I don't think you would have any trouble doing this.

I suggest as a next step you consult with a family lawyer face to face.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-268-8326 or(NNN) NNN-NNNN(within the GTA)

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you

You are very welcome.