How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100934
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband had an motor accident over two years ago. Yesterday

This answer was rated:

My husband had an motor accident over two years ago.
Yesterday we received letter from the lawyer hired by ICBC, in regards XXXXX XXXXX deposit Statement. Plaintiff sufferings are stiff neck and loss of enjoyment of life.
I understand ,that ICBC lawyer will work for ICBC interest, and anything my husband says may incriminate him further and rack up the penalty payment to ICBC.

My question is: should we consult the personal lawyer before going to him?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Is your husband being sued for more than the coverage he has?

Was your husband assessed at being at fault by ICBC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Coverage is 10 mill. He was driving company truck at the time of accident

I guess, he is assessed at being at fault by ICBC

ICBC wants to do what they can to fight the claim and or reduce the damages claimed.

They are going to pay the full amount being claimed.

There is no reason for them to want to do anything to make your husband look bad or at fault.

To the contrary protecting him is the only way they can protect themselves.

If he's been assessed as being at fault that is done with.

This lawyer is only trying to defend him for the lawsuit and is not concerned about anything else.

If you feel that your husband has something that he is worried about revealing then he should consult with his own lawyer but should not tell anyone he is doing this.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you