How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101023
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have separated from my ex wife for 4 years.when we went to

This answer was rated:

I have separated from my ex wife for 4 years.when we went to court my finances was good I was working full time .my income has since changed from 35.526.99 2012 was 28.964.08.june of this year I was layed off. I did not work june- july I moved to alberta from valemount bc.for work.I started new job august 21.explained to ex and family maintenance that I would be late with child support.was not trying to get out of it I just did not have any money i do not cell phone can not afford one. no car can not afford insurance.they now have sent me papers to garnishee my wages.unemployment. work mans a 400.00 dollar fine that family maintance want for me not being pay my support.what can I do .legal aid will not help me because it is family court
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

What you can do is bring an application to the Court to vary the support order, based on a material change of circumstances. You can also ask for an order rescinding the arrears owing since you lost your job.

You will have to provide the last three years tax returns as well as proof about this year's income.

You can self-represent.

When you get the new order you would then register it with Maintenance Enforcement.

You can get some help for free here:

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you