How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in British Columbia helped a friend out by letting him

This answer was rated:

I live in British Columbia helped a friend out by letting him stay in my house,He has been here for 4 yrs ,pays for nothing but a few groceries and is on welfare.started drinking being abusive and damaging my home I told him he has to get out by the end of the month,he started drinking again so i had to move my son out who is 21 because he fears for his life and I order this person out by 6pm.He took some of his possesions and left but lots remains in the house and outside and in my garage.I told him to remove his stuff from the home and i am going to change the locks.the stuff outside he has to move by the end of the week,no lease and no rent.can i legally do this and what to do if he dosent move his possessions

Because you share the same bathroom and kitchen facilities as the person staying with you, and because there is no type of tenancy agreement, you can force this person out of your home at any time. You do not need any type of court order or permission to remove him from the property. He is basically an overstaying houseguest. You can legally change the locks to your property at any time that you wish. You can use physical force to remove a trespasser from your property. You can contact the police to assist you in removing an unwanted person from your property. You can remove his belongings from your property at any time.

As to removing his property It may be best to take photos or video of exactly what it is that you move, so that you can defend any claim he made later make that you damaged his property or took some of it or so on.

If he will not remove his possessions, you can give him a deadline, saying that he must pick them up by a certain time, or you will simply Have them removed And thrown away or put into storage, and he will be responsible for payment of storage fees if he wants to obtain his belongings.

I hope this is helpful. If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.
Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions