How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100383
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am wanting to hire an American man to work for our non-profit

This answer was rated:

I am wanting to hire an American man to work for our non-profit company in Alberta. His wife is a Canadian citizen and is eligible to work in Canada. What is the best way to get them here? I would also like to hire his wife part time.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The wife can return to Canada as of right and work whenever she wants to.

She can sponsor her husband under a spousal sponsorship for permanent residency. That will take many months though.

Or you can give the potential employee a job offer, obtain a labour market opinion from the government and then he can apply for the a temporary work permit.

Here is the information they will need if they want to do the spousal sponsorship:

Here is what you will need about the labour market opinion:

And here is what he will need about the temporary work permit:

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - so, could we offer her a job and then have him volunteer for us until his spousal sponsorship is complete?


No he cannot volunteer either.

He cannot do work for pay or otherwise until he gets to the stage just before his formal approval and then he can get an open work permit.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!

Related Canada Law Questions