How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i would like to know how to sue an ex friend for missing items

This answer was rated:

i would like to know how to sue an ex friend for missing items that were not returned to me as i asked for.

You can sue for the return of the items in small claims court. This is a legal action called "replevin", for return of property. In the alternative to that you can sue for a money judgment in the value of the property, in case he claims he no longer has the belongings.

It is usually best to send a registered letter ahead of time telling him that he must turn over the property by some set time, such as ten days, failing which you will proceed to sue.

A lawyer is not mandatory for such a claim. But if you want to use one, the Law Society of Upper Canada has information on their free referral service at their website.

The following web address (sorry, I cannot attach a live link) has a great deal of information on the small claims court and the procedure you will need to follow:

If you review this and have any other specific question, please let me know.

I hope this is helpful. If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.

Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you