How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Withdrawn charges on Criminal record check

This answer was rated:

I had been charged with minor criminal offense a year ago but since it was minor non-violent charge and I don't have any criminal history before, I was able to take Direct Accountability Program so the charge was withdrawn by the court. Now my new employer needs to conduct a name based Canadian Criminal Record verification, will anything show up on it? Can I check "No" on the questions that say "Have you been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted?", "Have you been granted a conditional discharge within the past three (3) years?" and "Have you been granted an absolute discharge within the past year?" ?

Also, will that affect my entrance to United States or other country?


I haven't had any issue in this past year however I have not submitted a form to clear my fingerprint record at the local police office.


You do not have a criminal record. You have never been convicted. You have not been granted a discharge. You can validly answer any question about those things by saying "no".

Your matter was dealt with outside of criminal court altogether.

As you have never plead guilty or been convicted of any offence there is no reason you will be barred from entering another country.

I hope this is helpful. If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.
Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the answer. Just one more concern though, will there be any way that my potential employer or anyone else would find out about the details of the previously withdrawn charge? (of course I will not attempt to commit anything illegal to raise another background check)

You are welcome. There is no record of any conviction or so on. The police have an internal record of the arrest but that is not released when a criminal record search is requested for purpose of employment.