How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101381
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I live in Sudbury, ON Canada and Im wondering if theres

This answer was rated:

Hi, I live in Sudbury, ON Canada and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do legally with regard to a dealership selling me an expensive car ($33k) but it rattles to the point where I can't stand it. I had rented the same car before and it made no noise at all. So I know what the standard would be for this model and I feel as though they sold me a faulty car.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Is this a new car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply, and yes this car is a 2012 model and I bought it 2 months ago on a 7 year finance

Have you asked them about the rattle and if so what do they say?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im having them look at it today, however I read many online forums regarding the same issues and it turns out that it's rare to have such issues resolved. What Im trying to say is that I'm not expecting them to fix it.


But aside from that, in worst case scenario.. they can't fix it, what should I do?

If they cannot fix it then this is what I suggest.

The goal will be either for a replacement vehicle or a huge reduction in the cost, depending on what you want.

Here is the order of how you can approach this if this cannot be fixed.

So what you do first is go to the dealer your position. If that doesn't work you go to head office for the dealership. If that doesn't work you can file a complaint with OMVIC: And you can file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Branch: If none of that works you can sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent if you want to get a rebate on the price. If it gets that far you can always post on this site again and I can assist you as you go through the process if you find you need some help from time to time.

If you want to get them to give you a new car then you would have to sue in Superior Court and then would need a lawyer.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:


Let me know if you need further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!