How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101462
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name isXXXXX just made a deal on a 2013 Dodge Ram.

This answer was rated:

My name isXXXXX just made a deal on a 2013 Dodge Ram. The dealership delivered it, I signed the papers for the financing. Signed the trade in registration over to dealership. They let me drive the new truck for two weeks without trying to get a hold of me. I went in to dealership to get a new key, they told me the financing didn't go through, I waited in the dealship for 4 hours while they tried to get different financing finally I gave up cleaned out the new truck and came home with nothing, no new truck, no old vehicle. Now I owe money on the old one which the dealership has in their name. Cost from Edmonton to Slave Lake by taxi is over 300.00
What am I liable for?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Did the dealer say it went through?

What are they saying will happen to the trade in value of the old car? Are they offering to reimburse you for that at least?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it was all ok'd at the bank and then they delivered the truck 300 miles. I signed papers for bank and dealership. Because there is still money owing and I stopped payment the banks are calling. When I was at the dealership, they never even offered me the tree in back. They do still have it, so the bank says.
Have you called the owner of the dealership and asked what they are planning to do?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have put 2 phones into dealership all I get is reception they put through to the persons voice mail, but still no repley, this is the second day and I am still waiting.
This is ridiculous.

You do owe the bank the money as you entered into a binding agreement with the bank.

But the dealer owes you the truck at the cost that was agreed upon as the dealer entered into a binding agreement with you.

They took your old car, made a trade, told you the price, you came to an agreement and it was done, final.

Then they didn't even bother to call and say there was some error. In fact had you not gone in to get another key it's hard to know when you would have heard from them.

I suggest you retain a lawyer in your city to send them a letter essentially threatening to sue if they do not comply with the terms of the contract and indicating you will seek to enforce the contract and will also be seeking damages, and an order for your costs.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-661-1095 or
403-228-1722 in Calgary

You can also file a complaint here:
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!