How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have ben charged for communication with a person for prostitution

This answer was rated:

i have ben charged for communication with a person for prostitution purpose .please help me wat to do now it happen first time in my life plz help me ..

You, or your lawyer, can also speak with the crown prosecutor to see if it is possible to deal with this charge by way of alternative measures or diversion. Normally this diversion is a process where the prosecutor refers the matter to an office out of court, which will require that he attend to do things such "john school" which educates people about how prostitution can victimize women or community service work. As long as he completes the requirements successfully, then the criminal charge would be dismissed. If he has no prior criminal record, this is a fairly common way of resolving a first conviction for these types of relatively minor criminal charges. But note that this requires that you admit wrongdoing. If you does not believe you are guilty, then this is not an option.

If the prosecutor will not agree to that type of resolution (which would be very unusual), you can discuss whether an absolute or conditional discharge would be agreeable. This would involve pleading guilty in court, but the discharge means that no criminal conviction is entered. A conditional discharge would become absolute after a period of time, such as maybe 4 or 6 months, provided that you had no further charges in that time, or maybe you would need to complete some other conditions such as community service. This is also a fairly common way of resolving this type of charge. There is no actual criminal record of conviction entered, so other than having the charge dismissed, it is the next best possible outcome.

The only other option to avoiding criminal charge is if it is stayed or discontinued, or if you plead not guilty and you are acquitted at trial. Perhaps there is a defense here. You are entitled to request disclosure from the prosecutor, so that you have all police statements or records regarding the charge, and you are entitled to that before you need to make a decision on a plea, go to trial, or speak to the court about any sentence. You can seek an adjournment if needed to get this disclosure.

You do not need to have a lawyer to have a discussion with the prosecutor about possible mediation or a discharge. Such a discussion is "without prejudice", and so you can ask the prosecutor if on a guilty plea he would agree to ask for an absolute discharge or a conditional discharge, without worry that just asking that question proves your guilt.

If you and the prosecutor agree to an absolute or conditional discharge, this would be presented to the sentencing judge as a joint submission. The court does not have to follow such a submission, but is only to depart from that if the submission is clearly not in an appropriate range. It would be extremely unusual in these circumstances for a court to refuse a joint submission about a discharge.

I hope this is helpful.

If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.
Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions