Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

How do I find out if a divorce has actually taken place and

How do I find out if a divorce has actually taken place and is finalised?
Hello, thank you for the question.

Can you tell me more about the situation?

Are we talking about a divorce granted in Canada?

Ulysses
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes my son is getting remarried and has a history of not being shall we say truthful, he has told me he is getting married again and I don't believe he has been divorced yet or the divorce is finalized, and I am trying to keep him out of further trouble, as I am sure it not legal to be married unless your divorced first? Apparently the divorce may have taken place in Welland Ontario or St Cathrines Ontario. I don't need the details of the divorce just whether or not it has actually taken place and is finalised?

There are a couple of things I recommend.

Firstly, contact a process server in Welland/St. Catherines, get them to check with the Superior Court of Justice for divorce files that have your son's name on them. The staff will check and get back to you. You can do it yourself, or have anyone else do it there because these files are open to the public.

If there's no divorce file, then your son may well still be married. He won't go to jail or anything, his second marriage will simply not be valid.

If he hasn't been truthful, perhaps he was never married in the first place? Or was married in a foreign country, perhaps in a ceremony not recognized as a marriage in Canadian law? If he was married in Canada then it's easy to find out what's in the divorce court file as long as you know where the file is located.

Does this help? If you have questions or comment, please reply before rating the service. If I've answered you fully then please give a positive rating so that I get credit for assisting you today.

Ulysses
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes thank you