How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My common law partner and I broke up. We lived together for

This answer was rated:

My common law partner and I broke up. We lived together for 3 + years, in his house. Together, we built the equity in that house from $250 000 to $500 000. I paid an average of 40% of the household bills (mortgage, groceries, etc.etc)

He believes he should get to keep the house and all of the equity.

Am I entitled to any money from this?

Yes, you have an entitlement to a portion of the equity. There is no automatic equal division of property in a common law marriage, but you are entitled based on the value of contributions made to the property. As long as you can prove the amount of contributions that you made to help acquire or pay for the house, maintain it or improve it, you are entitled to the equity built up in the home from those contributions. A contribution could be direct, such as paying the mortgage, or indirect, such as your labour.
Law.Hut and 2 other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you