Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

Change conditions of peace bond

Change conditions of peace bond? I was charged with mischief for breaking ex's car window during domestic. Charges withdrawn but agreed to a peace bond with the condition of no contact for six months. Ex is contacting me. Wants to work on relationship. Can the order/condition be varied? How?

Copperlaw :

Hi There

Copperlaw :

Typically, when the Courts draft Peace Bonds, they place a no contact order, except with written revocable consent. Check to ensure that this is not in fact there.

Copperlaw :

It is possible to have this changed. Your ex would have to notify the Crown's office who handled the file and approved the Peace Bond, and they need to advise the Crown that they wish contact

Copperlaw :

Then you can submit a request for a variation of the Peace Bond and a new one can be drafted. You would then appear before a Justice of the Peace to sign the new document

Copperlaw :

The Crown's office should be able to assist you with this process, and if they're not overly helpful, check with your courthouse's duty counsel and see if they'll assist you

Copperlaw :

Please let me know if you require anything further as I am happy to chat some more

Copperlaw :

Also, a positive rating is greatly appreciated if you were to be so kind