I am currently on maternity leave and met with my employer

yesterday with the understanding we...
I am currently on maternity leave and met with my employer yesterday with the understanding we would discuss the date I would return to work. He informed me that he is restructuring the company and my position would not be available when I return in September. I am Director of Sales & Marketing and currently he has a marketing consultant and an administrator performing my job. (the original mat leave replacement quit 6 weeks into her contract which is why he then hired 2 people) He told me that Revenue Manager's are more valuable to him and he has hired a new one at "a much larger salary than he's put out before" so there will be no room for me. He told me I'm one of the best Directors he's had and that he would provide me with a reference.

I have an email from him stating that our conversation yesterday was a "courtesy, I met with you yesterday to advise you that your position is being eliminated and will no longer exist in September 2013 when you are scheduled to return from your maternity leave. Although your employment will not be affected during your maternity leave, I am advising you that your employment will be terminated on September 01, 2013, after your maternity leave ends. At that time, you will be paid compensation in lieu of working notice in accordance with the terms of your employment contract and the B.C. Employment Standards Act.

To be clear, our discussion yesterday and this letter is in no way intended to terminate your employment, give you formal notice of your termination, start the running of any notice period or communicate a formal severance offer. As set out above, your employment will not be terminated until after your maternity leave ends."

I have been with the company from November 2009 - Current and my maternity leave started on September 1, 2012. My annual salary was $52,000 per year plus bonuses and benefits. What would I be entitled to under the "BC Employment Standards Act"? I am feeling like I need to start looking for employment right away but still have 2 months of maternity left and am not sure how to proceed....
7/3/2013
Debra, Lawyer
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

This was an unlawful act.

The employer was required, by law, to keep your position or to provide you with a comparable position. Maternity leave is job-protected leave.

You can file a complaint with the Human Rights Commission or with your Employment Standards Branch.

But first, it may make more sense to consult with an employment lawyer face to face. The lawyer may be able to secure you significant damages by threatening a lawsuit.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thank you for your prompt reply. A major concern I have is that this employer may refuse to provide me with a letter of reference, or be a good reference for me, if I proceed with legal action. I work in a small town and he knows almost everyone in my industry. He has indicated that he will provide a letter of reference but emailed "it's best to wait until my maternity leave is over" but that I can list his phone number for now. This kind of makes me feel that if I pursue with legal action I may not have a good reference for my last 3 years of work.... If I do proceed with legal action is there a way to ensure he does not tell any future employers of a lawsuit or a way to get him to still be a reference for me?

You cannot really compel him to give you a good reference.

But you can have a lawyer threaten him with a lawsuit if he defames you.

As this is a small town why not see a lawyer in a neighbouring city and see what the lawyer thinks based on your facts.

But essentially this employer is clearly flaunting the law. So don't give up so easily.

I also have a Maternity leave of absence form stating my actual days away from work, actual return to work date, and comments that I would be returning to work under the same title and pay in my existing employment agreement. This was signed by myself and my employer on August 2, 2012. Does this help your argument that something's not right about this as I have this signed form from him?

Is this a Human Rights argument as well? Could he be discriminating as I'm woman? What specific type of lawyer should I use?

Yes it is a human rights argument.

It's descrimination without a doubt.

That is why I talke about complaining to the Human Rights Commission.

Yes the form helps. It reflects the law.

You should be consulting with an employment lawyer first. After that you may need to consult with a Human Rights lawyer.
Debra, Lawyer

Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!
Debra, Lawyer