How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3475
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been making payments to Presidents Choice mastercard

This answer was rated:

I have been making payments to Presidents Choice mastercard which is reported as a closed account since 2009 and seriously impacted my credit. This was due to a divorce. I am paying interest on interest so the balance never decreases and they won't settle for anything less than .90 on the dollar. Is there any recourse?

Thank you
Hello, thank you for the question.

What is the debt at now?

They offered to reduce it by 10%, what about the interest rate?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The balance is at 10K and the interest rate is around 12%. Monthly payments of 250.00 only pay the interest and doesn't reduce the balance owing.

OK, you don't have a lot of options here.

Firstly, $250 per month will pay much more than just the interest, so even at this rate of paying off the principal will decrease pretty quickly.

$10,000 probably isn't worth going bankrupt over. But a trustee in bankruptcy or a debt resolution agency might be able to negotiate something better for you. Find one near you that will give a free consultation.

A loan to pay off this debt is your next best option. If you can make these payments, you can borrow to pay this debt off, and your interest rate should be far below 12% and lower monthly payments too. See a loans officer at your bank or credit union and ask about a consolidation loan. You'l need a list of your assets and proof of income, and likely your most recent income tax return Notice of Assessment.

Does that help? I'm sorry that I can't offer better news. Please don't shoot the messenger.


Ulysses101 and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions