How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100964
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Girlfriend and I have been living together for 1.5 years

This answer was rated:

My Girlfriend and I have been living together for 1.5 years since she finished her obligation as a Nanny she has applied for her permanent residents the process is so slow we do love each other and is it to our benefit to get married we would like to travel but it is so hard for her when crossing borders all the extra applications to be applied for or what can we do?

She as well has 3 children in the Philippines which are still going to school that she has applied for there Beneficiary family code program. Now she want's them to finish school there because it is so costly here but it seems that her paper work has been slowed down because of this application. Is there anything we can do to speed up the process?

What other options are there
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Depending on where she is the application process it could be faster for you her to stop the application and apply instead by way of spousal sponsorship.

She can be sponsored by you as her common law spouse or you can marry and sponsor her as a legally married spouse.

What would be best is for her to consult with an immigration lawyer and have the lawyer consider her facts, when she started her application, how fast Immigration is moving these days etc and advise as to which route will be faster.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-661-1095 or
403-228-1722 in Calgary

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!