How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we are getting divorced and my husbands name is XXXXX XXXXX the

This answer was rated:

we are getting divorced and my husbands name is XXXXX XXXXX the title. can i sell and give him his half even if he does not want to sell

What province are you in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Then no, you cannot sell the family home without either consent of your husband or a court order. Regarding the family home, despite that your name is XXXXX XXXXX title both of you have an equal right to stay in your home unless a judge decides that one of you must move out.

Since both of you have a right to stay in your home, you cannot sublet it, rent it, sell it or mortgage it without the other’s permission.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there is a settelment. and he has been out of the house for almost a year now. does this change anything


It depends on the terms of the settlement. If you have a signed ageeement in which your husband releases all rights to the home that he may have under the law, then you can sell. Otherwise, you would need his consent or a court order.

Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you