How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101443
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been separated for over one year without

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have been separated for over one year without a legal separation agreement. We have a business (gas station in Vernon, BC) the business is solely in his name but my name is XXXXX XXXXX Community Future`s mortgage. He is left to run the business and I left with our personal debt. He has not paid me anything since I left. I am afraid that he is running the business into the ground. I am on a permanent disability due to medical issues. All I really want is to have the debt that I am responsible for paid in full, keep my disability income, be paid out of the business, be divorced and at the end of the day if there is a little nest egg of money that would be an added bonus. Please help I am not sure where to go from here
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

There are some ways to get help if you cannot afford a lawyer.

First, if there is no house in your name you can likely get legal aid to pay for a family lawyer for you as you have low income.

If not, you can get some help here and then you can self-represent:

They provide mediation services for free as well.

Also, try them:

I hope that helps as a starting point.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!