How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99930
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Moved to Montreal from the US can I just transfer my disabled

This answer was rated:

Moved to Montreal from the US can I just transfer my disabled son s guardianship to here.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Is he an adult?

Is he living with you in Montreal now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes he is an adult and living with me

There is no reason why your legal guardianship papers will not be considered valid in Quebec.

If you run into some trouble having them recognized at some point you may need to retain a lawyer to register them with a Court in Montreal who would then essentially convert them into a Quebec order.

If you want to see if that will be a problem down the road ahead of time then what you can do is take the papers to a lawyer in Montreal for a very brief face to face consultation.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $30.

Here is the number to call:

Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions