How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in arrears on my mortgage and received a statement of

Customer Question

I am in arrears on my mortgage and received a statement of claim against the property. I have made arrangements for the arrears ( it was just one month technically but the bank had left the previous month in my account. I have made arrangeaments for all money and am ready to pay and now they are saying I have to pay $2,000 for legal fees in oder for the arrears to be considered paid. The banks laywers is saying these are set fees. Yet from what I saw on the internet - it's $400.00. Please note I received the claim exactly a week ago and have had everything taken care of within a few with only one phone call between myself and the banks lawyer so it is not like this has been going on for awhile or back or forth. Are these set fees and what is my recourse. Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi I am still waiting for assistance. I am basically being told that if the legal fees are not paid, I am in arrears and that they will forclose even the claim says I have 20 days to file a defense - I am not sure where they, the lawyers get to call the shots and its sound like threats to me. In other words, pay or else which to me sounds like something that is aginst the law. Should they not have to agree to something as well, like if I pay, then I have saved my house. It occurred to me I could pay all this money and have no guarantee of sucess, whihc does sound fishy to me. I do not have a problem with paying some legal fees - it is the amount.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Expert:  Wendy-Moderator replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am still waiting -

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience while we search. I have marked your question high priority.
Expert:  Wendy-Moderator replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry to say we have exhausted all our efforts at this time to find the right professional to assist you with your question.

While we were not able to assist you with this question, please keep in mind that JustAnswer has multiple categories, from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more, to assist you with any question you may need answered.

At this time, we can offer you two options. You can choose to either have us return your good faith deposit back to its original funding source OR you may keep your deposit in your JustAnswer account to use for a future question.

We hope you will consider us again in the future.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If you cannot answer my questions then you should not have taken my money. Please refund the money you took. My understanding is that the money is help until I am satisfied - you did not hold the money and clearly since I did not get an answer, I am not satisfied so please refund the money. Lorene

Related Canada Law Questions