How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99929
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a renter in my basement suite who has been living there

This answer was rated:

I have a renter in my basement suite who has been living there for 6 months. I was paying the electric on her behalf, but now she has been late with her rent and electric bills total 587.18 plus she still owns 350 for rent for june. I have cut her electric off at the end of the month. I was wondering if I could dock her pay? She works in my family restaurant. The house is in BC
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

No you cannot dock her pay.

And actually you cannot legally turn off her electricity either.

You can seek to evict and seek an order that she pay you all that she owes you plus interest.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How can I seek payment? I electric was included in a 750 rent fee. 650 for rent and 100 for electric. It was also said that anything over 100 a month would be on her. I have giving countless time to catch up and also over a month notice that it will jave to be put in her name. I have actually cut the power off.

You can get an order for the Residential Tenancies branch or else you can sue her in Small Claims Court.

I suggest you contact the RTO tomorrow and they will explain what to do.

Here is a link to their contact information:
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!

Related Canada Law Questions