How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancee is being audited and stands to owe a possible $7000

This answer was rated:

My fiancee is being audited and stands to owe a possible $7000 in income tax if her appeal is rejected. When I marry her in BC, will I be liable for her debts?
Hello: marrying someone does not make you responsible for their debts in any way. Unless you sign a paper agreeing to guarantee or co sign on her debts, you will not be responsible.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I am resting easier now. She has also offered to protect me from any expenses related to her properties, should she be unable to continue to maintain them. So, I assume that I have no worries in that direction?

Her creditors can never come after you directly.

But if the two of you separate and there is a division of your family property, then debts she acquires during the marriage can factor into that division. So you could in effect have to pay to half of her debts. So an agreement by he that she will be responsible for those debts and they will not be included in the division still will have some value to you.
Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions