Law.Hut
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
64292049

I was in a bar where a group of people were getting unruly

I was in a bar where a group of people were getting unruly and were subsequently escorted out by the bouncers. One girl on her way out threw a drink at me. While she was outside she was swearing and yelling telling my friends to tell me to get outside. (I assume she wanted to beat me up) after about five or ten minutes she somehow got past the bouncers and made her way back into the bar. she saw me and threw another drink at me. this time I threw one back at he. she went ballistic and pushed past a few people and went after me. I tried to get away but she grabbed me by the back of the head and hair and punched me square in the right eye and mouth. I suffered massive injuries concussion, fractures to the eye that require surgery, nerve damage, ptsd, etc etc. and not a bouncer in sight? can I sue the bar for negligence?
Hello:

Yes, you can sue the bar. They could be partially responsible here as they may have over served alcohol to this person. They also did not apparently take appropriate steps to have her removed and kept out of the bar once she proved to be unruly or aggressive. There could also be an issue as to the amount if security that they had on hand and whether this was reasonable or not. Certainly a court will find that the attacker was primarily responsible for your injuries but could determine that the bar is contributorily negligent and so responsible for a certain percentage of your damages. You should speak as soon as possible to a lawyer that is experienced in civil litigation or personal injury law.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How much is the bar liable for and do they carry insurance for this kind of thing.I don't want to put them out of business.

I can't tell you the percentage amount they may be responsible - it is up to a judge based on all the facts. Maybe 20 per cent, but that is really just a guess at this point. They should have insurance for sure if they are a responsible business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is this the same lawyer who is answering my otherquestion. I am sorry. I sent two similar questions as I was quite anxious to get an answer.

Yes, we are going on two threads together here. That is no problem.

If you have no further questions, please rate the answer positively, as otherwise the site does not credit me, even if you have paid a deposit. You can still ask follow up questions after rating though, if you wish.