How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a very small church congregation (fewer than 20), we are

Customer Question

As a very small church congregation (fewer than 20), we are a registered charity. We are in the final stages of selling our church property in Winfield, British Columbia and will have about $390,000 to put toward another property, or to put in savings for now.

We have found a residential property in Kelowna, BC that would work perfect for us. It has a very large shop on the property that is ample in size for us to hold services, and a house that we can rent out.

Our question is, as a registered charity, are we able to purchase residential property? And if not, can we change our legal status so that we could still use the money from the sale of our current property to purchase this property?

We have only 2 weeks to make this happen, as we discovered the potential property just before the seller hired a realtor to list it, and the realtor has given us a 2 week window to decide.

In addition, we have been considering not being a registered society anymore, because the restrictions seem to outweigh the benefits. We don't feel we need to be a society to gather together for services, as we are small enough to fellowship in living rooms. But if we give up our society status, would we still be able to use our money for purchase of property and other ministry? Is there another designation we can change to and still be able to do these things, but be less accountable to the government?

Regarding this site, it is unclear to me if I am paying only $47 now as a one-time fee if I am satisfied with your answers, or do I have to sign up for a monthly subscription? If we buy one of your 3 monthly subscriptions, can we cancel at any time?

Do any of your 3 plans offer documentation and signatures?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Wendy-Moderator replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can wait for an answer, but please don't take too long, as we are on a VERY limited time schedule. Try to have an answer for my by Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time, as our next meeting is at 7:00. Thanks.
Expert:  Wendy-Moderator replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. I have marked your question as high priority, which alerts Experts that you need an answer quickly. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on a professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to continue as long as it doesn't cost more than the $47.00 I've already paid by credit card, and that if you cannot come up with the answers by the new deadline of Thursday at 6:00 p.m. that I can be refunded the money.

I plan to find a local lawyer to speak to Friday, as we are on a deadline for this information.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. We will continue to search until tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ended up having to work, so I will not be able to see a local lawyer after all. Please continue to search and let me know what you find out. Thanks.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.

We will continue our search.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I received an e-mail saying "We are very sorry that your Canada Law question was not answered. Although the Lawyers on JustAnswer weren't able to answer your question this time, there are thousands of and other Experts in hundreds of categories standing by to assist you. We are committed to providing 100% satisfaction with our service and encourage you to ask another question."

Since you were not able to answer my questions, does this mean the $47.00 I paid for your services will be refunded to my prepaid credit card?


Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right professional. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately at your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Despite not getting my questions answered, it has been an overall good experience. Does the money get refunded automatically to my card?

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.

The money will go back to the card you used to make payment to us.

Thanks for giving us a try.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I found a chartered accountant locally in Kelowna, BC who can answer my questions. He specializes in not-for-profit organizations. Thank you for trying!