How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101395
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

me and my partner separated about a year ago I took a new job

This answer was rated:

me and my partner separated about a year ago I took a new job in camp and on my first shift she packed up all our valuables and left her father drove across two provinces to help her she took my child with her as well we where not married just common law what are her
and I entitled to when it comes to the division of our assets I have a house in my name that she lived in and never helped out with any of the payments we where together for about 5 years
What province is this?

You never legally married right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sask and we where just common law

Did you live together for five years?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes she came out with a friend to visit my roommate got her pregnant and tried to make things work for five years

But did they date for 5 years or live together for 5 years?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Lived never purchased the house until last year
In Saskatchewan common law spouses have the same legal rights and obligations that married spouses have.

That means that the presumption is that both spouses share equally in the value of all family assets.

However, the Court can make an order for an unequal sharing if an equal sharing would be unjust. The main reason where a Court would do this is when there has been a short relationship.

Under 5 years is considered short in most cases. That is why I needed to know the duration of the relationship.

For this reason you next step should be to consult with a family lawyer face to face.

Does that help?
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you