How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Freudman Your Own Question
Daniel Freudman
Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 1336
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Daniel Freudman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

disown your daughter

This answer was rated:

disown your daughter

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. In what sense are you looking to disown her? Is she a minor and you are looking to give up your legal rights to her or is this a situation where you do not want her to get anything if you were to pass away?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is not minor ; she is married . She stopped calling me intentionally and does not respect me as father

Thank you for that additional information. I just saw that this is a question that deals with Canada law, so I have to opt out and allow an expert in that category to help. Please hold on and someone will help you shortly.
I am a Canada law expert and I am happy to help you.

Are you asking about how to disinherit your daughter?

What province is this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


I will contact our Quebec expert and let him know you are waiting as I don't know the law in Quebec.

That is very unfortunate that your daughter stopped calling you and does not provide you with the respect you deserve as a father. As she is not a minor and not a dependent of your, there are no legal steps you need to take to 'disown' her. Rather, you can cease contact with her and, based on what you have told me, there would be no rules in place forcing you to be associated with her, nor would there be any legal ramifications for doing so.


In conclusion, only in the cases of minors or dependents (and possibly persons under disability, or where power of attorney or trust issues or other exigent circumstances exist) must actual paperwork be done to attempt to 'disown' someone. As she is a fully-functioning married adult, there is no paperwork or legal steps that must be taken. Rather, you can 'disown' her by merely cutting off all communication with her.


Hopefully that is of assistance, I wish you the best of luck with your matter.



If you are satisfied with my answer, please provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment. Thank you.


DISCLAIMER: My communication is general legal information only and is not intended to be relied upon. This information is not legal advice, nor is it a substitute for such, and if you are seeking legal advice then it is recommended that you retain an attorney. There is no guarantee as to the accuracy of this information, nor shall I be held liable for any claim, demand or damages, actual or consequential, of any kind or nature, known or unknown, arising out of or in any way connected to this information or the issue it pertains to. No solicitor-client relationship has been created by this communication.

Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 1336
Experience: Lawyer
Daniel Freudman and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you