my daughter is 18 and her mom passed away 2 1/2 yrs ago and

Customer Question
we are wondering if she...
my daughter is 18 and her mom passed away 2 1/2 yrs ago and we are wondering if she is entitled to any sort of survivor benefits , she has been accepted to university, so scholorships or benefits, and if so how would we contact?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Canada Law
4/29/2012
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Debra Thal (username) :

I am sorry for your loss.

Debra Thal (username) :

Did your daughter's mother contribute to CPP?

JACUSTOMER-ed35n523- :

yes and a pension through hospital employees union also

Debra Thal (username) :

Your daughter may be entitled to survivor benefits through CPP.

Debra Thal (username) :

Did you check this out when her mother died?

JACUSTOMER-ed35n523- :

no

Debra Thal (username) :

The other pension is private.I

Debra Thal (username) :

Let me get you the information you will need about the CPP benefits.

JACUSTOMER-ed35n523- :

thank you

Debra Thal (username) :

For the hospital pension plan benefits you will need to call the Plan administrators.

JACUSTOMER-ed35n523- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-ed35n523- :

and cpp

Debra Thal (username) :

Here is the webpage that explains this.

Debra Thal (username) :

She could get a monthly payment from the time her mother died up until she finishes school.

Debra Thal (username) :

So read this information and call CPP tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-ed35n523- :

does that include university also?

Debra Thal (username) :

Yes it does for sure,

Debra Thal (username) :

Also,

Debra Thal (username) :

She should go into her guidance counsellor's office at school.

Debra Thal (username) :

There are lots of bursaries and scholarships she should apply for.

Debra Thal (username) :

Do you/your daughter know about OSAP loans?

JACUSTOMER-ed35n523- :

no

Debra Thal (username) :

Let me get you that website too but for sure she needs to speak to a guidance counsellor.

Debra Thal (username) :

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal

Debra Thal (username) :

She should also spend some time reviewing her universities website. They will have lots of information about this too.\

Debra Thal (username) :

Let me help out a bit.

Debra Thal (username) :

What school is she going to be going to?

JACUSTOMER-ed35n523- :

UVic

JACUSTOMER-ed35n523- :

victoria BC

Debra Thal (username) :

Good for her.

Let me check their website for a minute or two.

Debra Thal (username) :

Start reading here:

http://www.uvic.ca/students/undergraduate/finances/index.php

Debra Thal (username) :

There is a lot of money out there for students but she needs to spend some time finding it.

Debra Thal (username) :

So you can call CPP and the hospital pension people and she can see her guidance counsellor and she should do that at once.

Debra Thal (username) :

There are lots of deadlines and some applications require essays.

JACUSTOMER-ed35n523- :

ok thank you

Debra Thal (username) :

You are very welcome.

Debra Thal (username) :

If we are done please click accept.

This authorizes the site to release my portion of what you paid them to me.

Debra, Lawyer