a widowed fathers will states everything is to be divided…

Customer Question
a widowed father's will states...
a widowed father's will states everything is to be divided equally between his 4 children. if one of the children dies before the father is the estate then divided among the remaining 3 children or does the 4th child's heirs become involved.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/25/2012
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Debra Thal (username) :

What province is this please?

Debra Thal (username) :

What does the wording of he will say?

Debra Thal (username) :

For example does it us terms like "issue" or "issue per stirpes"?

Debra Thal (username) :

The wording is what matters.

Customer:

this is not canada. I am in washington state. I don't have the will at my disposal at the moment.

Debra Thal (username) :

I will move to this the correct list then.

Lawyer: RobertJDFL,
 replied 6 years ago

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, if you require additional information, press "REPLY" and I will be happy to assist you further.

The previous expert had your question moved over to the proper legal category, and I am happy to assist you. The previous expert was correct that the language in the Will is what controls, and so without knowing what it says, it's impossible to give you a definite answer.

For example, if the Will says something like "To my 4 children equally, or the survivors thereof", then the estate would simply be divided among the surviving children. But if it said "To my 4 children equally, per stirpes", then it would be divided among the 3 children and the lineal heirs of the 4th, deceased child (e.g., their children).

If you can get a copy of the Will and provide the language, I can assist you further.

*****************************************************************************************************

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR" SERVICE. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code and pay me as you would any other professional.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case.

Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.