I was unjustly fired from a unionized nursing home as pt cook.Iam…

Customer Question
I was unjustly fired from...
I was unjustly fired from a unionized nursing home as pt cook.Iam going to my first hearing june 30. The company does not want to pay me my sevrence pay of 13 yrs service,8wks for not giving me notice.Iwas dismissed Dec 39/09 am on ei Til Sept/10 Iwill be 65next MAY.The union wants to pay me my wage after EI runs out which is about 8000.00 dollers.Isay what about my pension Iamnot contributing tohealth Insurarnce,sevrence pay and 7 suspension day I did not get payed for. Can you tell me ifI am asking for to much and how much Ishoud expect also is whorth to go to arbritration. Agnes Canada
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/30/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

Why won't the union help you and why are they siding with the employer?

Customer:

It is apoor union to deal with .the employees were blackballing me to quit my job and one wanted the job Ididn't give in so they fired me.

debra thal :

If you feel that you are not being represented properly by your union then your only choice is to consult with an employment lawyer.

It's important that the union does not find out you are doing this.

You can see a lawyer for free and have the lawyer review all the facts in some detail and then let you know what you are entitled to and what you could expect if you ended up in Court.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

debra thal :

Yes it may be worth it to go to arbitration because ultimately this is faster and cheaper than Court but it's like Court because the arbitrator is experienced and unbiased.

Customer:

I tried the lawyer from referral service they told me they can't do anythink as long as the union is invoved .ok

debra thal :

That is correct.

They cannot do anything at this point.

That's why you are not letting the union know.

The idea is to get an opinion from the lawyer.

You are asking me if I can tell you whether you are asking too much or not. I cannot know the answer because I cannot hear the details.

You need a specialist in employment law to hear the details and to tell you what you should expect to hget and what he/she can do if you don't get what you should be getting.

Customer:

I thought that was the point of your legalconsultant as a[JD] which I am paying you for. THANKS.

debra thal :

No.

You are not paying for advice but just general information.

It's not lawful for lawyers to practice law online.

And it's not possible to give sound and fair legal advice off the top of one's head. To give you meaningful legal advice I would need to know all the details involved in your situation and that's why it's essential that you sit down, face to face, with an employment lawyer.