what credentials do i need to open a wellness centre and call…

Customer Question
what credentials do i need...
what credentials do i need to open a wellness centre and call it a " clinic "? i do have certification in a lot of areas and i hold a Dr. of Min . degree ...i also am a registered auricular accupuncturist which i received from capital health ...i'm very anxious to start a holistic wellness centre and i don't want to step on any toes ....looking forward to hearing from you , Leona Barnes.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/29/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

What province is this please?

Are you licenced in your areas of practice or are these areas yet to be regulated?

Will all staff be licenced or certified?

What is a Dr. of Min. degree?

Debra, Lawyer
I am not sure what's happened exactly but I just sent you some questions and was waiting for the answers but you seem to have accepted in advance.

This ended the chat but that's OK as we can post up and back.

Can you answer my questions so I can begin to get you an answer please?

Thanks
sorry i goofed up ...i have a Dr. of Ministry degree , and am an acupuncture detoxification specialist , plus other certifications as well ...i want to open a wellness center where i can teach people how to get well on a mind body spirit level and i don't want to step on any toes ...my question is can i call it a clinic as the acupuncture course i took was through capital health (that's what our medical is called in Canada)...i'm in Nova Scotia and i don't think it's regulated yet , although i'm not sure ...i'm only one person right now , but i plan to have staff that would be certified...hope i was able to help ...thanks , Leona.
I have done some research on your question. I am not a local lawyer and unfortunately there are no local lawyers on this site.

As far as I can see you are not regulated at this point though I believe that there is hope amongst practitioners in this area that you will be regulated and then licenced sometime in the not so distant future.

For this reason so long as you don't hold yourself out as a doctor or any other regulated industry there's not likely any reason why you cannot open up a centre and call it a clinic so long as you are clear about what you do and are not misleading.

But to be sure I would suggest you do two things.

I would call the NS Association of Acupuncturists and confirm this information. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.nsacupuncture.ca/index.php

And, I would suggest going for a free consultation with a local lawyer.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

I hope that helps as a starting point.