I discussed the fact I was writing a book - non fictional on…

I discussed the fact I...
I discussed the fact I was writing a book - non fictional on the Steven Truscott Lynne Harper case. Circa 1959. with "Living Tree Law." He helped me regarding some aspects of the case and the potential for civi or criminal litigation. The book is not finished and will probably take a couple more months before completion and unknown if it will be picked up by a publisher. (I won't publish myself.)

Is there the possibility that a publisher if interested in the book, will assist in legal expenses if there is any civil actions arising from the book?

Is there any legal process I can use to protect my assets. (House, cottage, vehicles?) If faced with a law suit.
6/28/2010
Yossarian (user name)

Under libel law, your publisher would be liable, along with you, for any defamatory comments published in the book. Consequently, your publisher would, in all likelihood be joined as a defendant if someone issued a libel lawsuit as a result of the material published in the book. Usually, publishers will also retain their own defamation lawyers to review potentially defamatory editorial material before publication.

You could transfer assets to third parties like your spouse , or your children, now. Creating a trust may be another option to explore. You should retain a debtor-creditor lawyer to review your financial circumstances and determine potential asset protection strategies. The Law Society of Upper Canada's lawyer referral service(NNN) NNN-NNNN can provide you with names of local debtor-creditor lawyers.

Yossarian (user name)
Thanks for your information. It was very helpful. You mentioned transferring "now." Could the transfer take place after the book was accepted for publication?
You're welcome. Generally speaking, it is much better to begin an asset protection strategy sooner than later. There is a much stronger possibility that a post-publication transfer could be successfully challenged as a fraudulent conveyance.

Edited by Joseph Thompson on 6/29/2010 at 3:01 PM EST