My step father has recently passed and his will appointed two…

My step father has recently...
My step father has recently passed and his will appointed two executors for his estate, my step brother and one of my sisters. The estate is worth about $500,000 and is relatively simple with six heirs from both sides of the marriage each receiving equal shares in the estate. With the exception of the house which has been sold all other assets are standard, ie., cash, CDs, etc. What would be the maximum compensation the executors are entitled to and what would be considered fair compensation given that the estate was rather simple to settle?
6/28/2010
Debra, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

What province is this please?

What does the Will say about executor fees, if anything?

Customer:

Ontario, the will does not say anything about executor fees

Customer:

Yes and probate is complete.

debra thal :

So, is the botXXXXX XXXXXne that the executors did little on their own?

Are you suggesting amount for their fees?

Customer:

Essentially, yes. The lawyer who is handling the estate indicated that they were entitled to 5% of the estate and my step brother is indicating this is what he wants. My sister is conflicted, however, if he gets 5% then she will likely take her 5%. My personal feelings this is excessive compensation for handling the estate and that a lesser amount based on their actual work is what they are owed.

debra thal :

They are not necessarily entitled to anything specific and the 5% is what they would be entitled to jointly and not each.

It's common for beneficiaries not to take any fees of course. But, if they've done some work then they can claim some.

The 2.5% of monies in and out, which is basically what the lawyer is talking about is not a rule of thumb for all cases.

If the matter went to Court the Court would look at the value of the estate (which is not considered large), the complexity of the estate, the amount of time the trustees spent on the estate, etc.

If there were legal fees paid for work the trustees could have done on their own then this would be considered and possibly taked off what they would receive.

From the sounds of things, based on your post, it's not likely at Court would go as high as the 2.5 in and out calculation.

What may be a good approach for you is to consult with an estate lawyer on your own.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-268-8326 or(NNN) NNN-NNNN(within the GTA)

The lawyer can review the facts with you and then give you some advice both about what would likely be ordered by the Court, as well as your best options and can tell you how much this lawyer would charge you to assist in working this out.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Debra, Lawyer
Debra, I realize your information is general and that I need to consult with a lawyer for specifics. However, before I do this I will try and mediate a mutual agreement with the estate lawyer and the executor's. Your information confirmed what I believed that if this went to court it is highly unlikely that the maximum executor fees would be justified. Thanks for your help in keeping me on the right track. In my mind it is simply a matter of fairness. As an aside, if the executor fees are reduced I will not be keeping any additional monies, rather this will be distributed to my mother's grandchildren .
That sounds like a good idea.

These things get very difficult even with there are not the blended family issues. It's a pity really.

I hope things work out fairly smoothly.