We live in Toronto. My wife had a line of credit of $30,000,

Customer Question
credit card of $4,500 and...
We live in Toronto. My wife had a line of credit of $30,000, credit card of $4,500 and a savings account overdraft of $700 with a local bank. She had another joint account with me with the same bank with an overdraft facility of $1,500. We were unable to pay all of these loans.

Recently we received notice from the Bank’s lawyer that a Writ of Seizure and Sale against our house and assets has been filed with the Sheriff’s office with 10 days time to make the payment. A copy of the Judgment was attached in which my wife and I are shown as the defendants. It lists 5 amounts to be paid, mentioning specifically that my wife has to pay the first 3 amounts totaling $38,479 (which is the total of the first 3 loans above, plus interest to date, which are solely in her name). The fourth item on the list is $1961.72 (which is the amount of the O/D on the joint account plus interest to date) that both the defendants have to pay. The fifth item is the costs of action amounting to $1609.65 which both the defendants have to pay. Hence, my liability in this Judgment is only to the extent of $3,571.37 ($1961.72 + $1609.65).

We have a house in our joint names on which there are 3 mortgages, leaving very little equity in the house. I also have a 1993 Toyota Camry (valued at $500) and a 2002 Toyota Sienna (valued at $9000). Both these cars are solely in my name. Most of the furniture and appliances in our house were purchased by me. My wife doesn’t have any assets worth mentioning except her joint ownership with me in our home.

Now, my question to you is, if I pay up the $3,571.37 which the Judgment mentions as owing from me, can the Sheriff go after the cars, the appliances and other assets which are solely in my name? Also, after I pay up my part of the liability mentioned in the Judgment, can I prevent them from selling our house at auction, since I am also the joint owner of the house and I don’t want my interest in the house jeopardized by her inability to pay?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/28/2010
Lawyer: Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
The best protection for the home is the fact that there is little equity in it. I would call the lawyer and attempt to negotiate something.

If you pay your part, that will slow them down but they can still proceed by severing your part of the house from hers and then selling the property and taking her share.

Exempt from seizure is $10,000 in household furnishings and $5000 in apparel. I doubt they will go after the cars because they would have to prove she has a beneficial ownership. But, also exempt from seizure if $5000.00 net value of a motor vehicle.

If there is little equity, try and work something out. Also, get a free consultation from a bankruptcy trustee. Ask about making a formal proposal that could get you out of this mess. Do a computer search there is a lot of information on bankruptcy and proposals online.

Good Luck.

What is a formal proposal? We don't want to declare ourselves bankrupt because that is a life-time stigma.

Can I pay my liability myself along with letters sent to the bank's lawyer and the Sheriff's office that my part of the Judgment liability is discharged and that they have no right to seize my assets? Or should I do it through a lawyer?

Besides, are we entitled to get a notice from the Sheriff office before they come to seize the assets?

Lastly, I couldn't understand how they could sever my wife's part of the house from mine and sell it? Could a detached home like ours be partitioned? And who would buy the other half? Are you suggesting that they would sell the whole house and take the money owing by her from her share of the proceeds? That would mean displacing me, and I cannot object to it? If the procedures in British Columbia are different from Ontario, I would appreciate if you could consult someone practicing in Toronto and get back to me.

Contact a trustee and do it today about what an Ontario proposal means.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Pardon? I do not understand. I am working for you.

Apart from contacting a trustee, I'm sorry you overlooked several questions which I asked. I am repeating them hereinbelow for your ready reference:

Can I pay my liability myself by means of a cheque sent with letters to the bank's lawyer and the Sheriff's office that my part of the Judgment liability is discharged and that they have no right to seize my assets? Or should I do it through a lawyer?

Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
I am a lawyer in Toronto and can assist you.

You can pay off your loans and you will not be liable for any debt that your spouse has unless you name is XXXXX XXXXX loan as well.

In terms of the house, you can unfortunately be displaced. They can seek the sale of the house and can then claim half of the equity.

You would get a notice from the Sheriff.

If you do not have a lawyer you do not need one for paying off your own debts. You can contact the bank's lawyer and indicate that you wish to pay all debts owed by you at this time.

let me know if I missed anything.
Debra, Lawyer