My lawyer- husband of 24 years is having Mid life crisis, accompanying…

Customer Question
My lawyer- husband of 24...
My lawyer- husband of 24 years is having Mid life crisis, accompanying affair and took off and abandoned us Oct. 2008 from Edmonton. He works in Vancouver as CEO for small mining co. and travels each week-end to Toronto to screw OW since then .Both adult children at home.

He paid spousal and son's (student) support for 1st time, Oct-Dec. 2009 and NOTHING since.His income tax shows he is now'self-employed' for 9never before)...and pays OW in Ont. rent!!!! and gets income tax credit ...24 000 per annum for 2 nights a week. He shows 89 000 as income, claimed tuition and me as wife and 20 000 went to CPP and voila....no $....I was looking at his salary at 12 000 then 10 000 and now it maybe he has 'oral agreement' only for 6 000 per month.i GOT MINUTES FOR ANNUAL MEETING THAT SHOWED HE HAD 104 000 AS INCOME AND OPTION BASED AWARD WAS 4 704 FOR A TOTAL OF 108 704

I was a teacher for 30 years but was put on permanent disability 13 years ago...I get 3 000 and it stays fixed. We live in my Dad's house I inherited just last year. He is squirming and sliding away as a sneaky snake from financial responsibility!

Can I go into his 'self-employed and share !/2 or dissolve it and go back to salary. What else is the cheater bastard doing? We had a lovely happy secure family until he freaked. and he did. No contact with kids all this time..SOS
i AND WE AS FAMILY JUST WANT TO BE RID OF THIS TUMOUR IN OUR FAMILY BUT MEANWHILE WE HAVE HOUSE REPAIRS AND LANDSCAPING AND TOILET PAPER AND MEATBALLS FOR 3 TO MAKE....? What needs to be done...? I plan to attend this annual meeting perhaps and ask...questions? or lack of confidence if the weasel does this with loved ones what are his business scruples and when things are tough?
I appreciate your consideration in my bizarre matrimonial dispute.
Thanks XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/25/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

It's not a bizarre matrimonial dispute. Sadly this is a common story.

Basically, what you should be doing is quickly seeing a family lawyer.
You are entitled to half of all the assets (as well as the debts) and

debra thal :

and there is an issue of spousal support of course.

After a marriage this long he will likely have to provide you with spousal support on an ongoing basis.

If you son is still in school he will also have to provide child support.

So, rather than try and figure what he is doing and how to deal with it, you will need to retain a lawyer.

He will need to make full financial disclosure and if he shows a sudden drop in income a Court will not believe him and will impute income. That means the Court will set support based on the income the Court determines that he is either making or could be making.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx

debra thal :

I received a notice that you posted back but I cannot see the post.

Can you try again please?