Hi, I am intestested in finding the requirements to label…

Hi, I am intestested in finding...
I am intestested in finding the requirements to label a product "Made in Canada".
I have a product that I designed and patented (the Canadian patent is final, US pending).
Most models are made in Canada of material that may originate in Canada, the USA or elsewhere. We outsource manufacturing to a Canadian company.
Two models are (or will be) made of material (leather) from Australia that is mainly assembled in India with the finished assembly and quality control completed here in Canada.
I found a document from 2002 stating "In its analysis of a declaration claiming Canada to be the country of origin of goods incorporating foreign raw materials or components, the Bureau applies the following rules:
(1) the last substantial transformation of the goods must have occurred in Canada, and
(2) at least 51% of the total direct costs of producing or manufacturing the goods is Canadian.
If I need to label where these are made to export them again to the US or Europe, what do I say for a Canadian designed product, finshed in Canada of raw material from Australia that was minly assembled in India?
Your help would be greaty appreciated!
Zoe
6/25/2010
Yossarian (user name)

Finished in Canada provides you with the opportunity to say that the product is made in Canada. For this purpose, finish and made are synonymous.

Hi. I am just a little nervous about the disclaimer I just agreed to.

Do you have a reference for this? I know someone will ask.

Thanks!

Zoe

Competition Bureau Canada's regulations in this respect have not substantially changed.

You do need to put in a qualifying statement indicating that the products contains imported material.

A link to the Competition Bureau's web site is below containing the 2009 version of the regulations is below:

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/03169.html

Edited by Joseph Thompson on 6/25/2010 at 11:00 PM EST
Yossarian (user name)
Thank you so very much!!
You're welcome.