Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My question is whether or not I should agree to take part in

Customer Question

My question is whether or not I should agree to take part in a mediation process in my workplace.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

I would suggest that you consult with a local lawyer with the view of determining whether you should bring your own lawyer with you given the power imbalance that may exist if you go alone.

Mediation should not be for discipline purposes. It's supposed to be a way to resolve issues outside of a disciplinary process.

I don't know if mediation is mandatory or not. It would depend on your contract and internal policies which you agree to follow when working their.

If you agree to something at the mediation then it's binding because you've agreed.

I am not sure that you are being treated fairly because no one is there to explain things or answer your questions and you don't have your union so you are alone.

For this reason I am suggesting the intial consultation with an employment lawyer.