My daughter turned 18 in April and is now graduating from High…

Customer Question
My daughter turned 18 in...
My daughter turned 18 in April and is now graduating from High school. She is not registered for school in the fall. In my seperation agreement it says that support ends when the child ceases to be a child as defined in the divorce act. I notified my ex wife that her support is now ending with 30 days notice, and there will be no check issued for July. She has responded to me that this is not allowed and that I have to pay for a month after she is done school. Is this correct?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

What province is this please?

Customer:

Ontario

debra thal :

In Ontario she is now an adult by law.

And once she is no longer in full-time attendance in a post-secondary (unless this is just a summer break and she is going to attend in the fall), she is no longer a child of the marriage.

So, if June marks the end of her education and you are sure she's not attending school in the fall she is no longer entitled to support and you do not have to pay support in July.