I live in Delta British Columbia Canada and would like to know…

Customer Question
I live in Delta British...
I live in Delta British Columbia Canada and would like to know if you might know a Broker or insurance agent or company that would insure my medical grow site a for fire and only fire
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/22/2010
Lawyer: Yossarian (user name), Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Yossarian (user name)

If the hydroponics operation is unlawful, you will be unable to obtain insurance in the same manner as any greenhouse from a commercial insurance brokerage. Lloyd's of London is a specialist insurance brokerage with a practice of welcoming unusual underwriting issues. This brokerage may be able to find an insurer if the operation is not prohibited by the Criminal Code.

A link to the web site is below:

http://www.lloyds.com/

If the hydroponics operation is prohibited by the Criminal Code, no insurer will provide coverage.

I am sorry I meant to write, if the operation is not unlawful in the first sentence of my initial answer.
They turned me down,any other ideas are welcome

You could try Berkshire Hathaway's Special Insurance Unit. This insurer handles many unusual coverage issues.

If you have a license to grow and a license to use, you could argue that you are being discriminated against by insurers who are refusing you coverage on the basis of your physical disability (strictly speaking this would be a form of constructive discrimination). You could file a complaint with your province's human rights commission (human rights legislation), or its insurance commission (Charter challenge). The Law Society of BC's Lawyer Referral Service(NNN) NNN-NNNN can provide you with names of local human rights lawyers.

Otherwise, you would not have any legal remedies. You could consider forming an association with other growers in similar circumstances and it is possible that as a group , an insurer may offer coverage.

As I have answered your question, please accept this answer so I am credited for my time.

Edited by Joseph Thompson on 6/26/2010 at 3:27 PM EST
Hi Joseph,
I will try Berkshire Hathaway's special Insurance Unit.I am also going to try an American company there website is www.allgreeninsurance.com. They claim to insure grow sites for fire as well as theft of the crop. I'm just not sure if they can insure me because I am in Canada. I am not going to be filing a complaint with the Province Human Rights Commission just yet, because I am in a hurry and would still like to concentrate my efforts on finding an immediate solution but I never would have thought of something like that thank you I just hope I do not have to go that route it sounds slow. Thank You.

You're welcome and good luck with your initiatives to attempt to secure insurance.

The human rights route is unlikely to be a fast route but it could be a long-term solution.

Please press accept so I am credited for my time.