I have been a stay at home mom for the last nine years, however,

Customer Question
I was never married. Two...
I have been a stay at home mom for the last nine years, however, I was never married. Two years ago, I decided that I couldn't deal with the abuse anymore so I broke up with him. I have asked him to please move out because he is creating a toxic environment for me and the 3 children. He tells me what I want to hear, that yes he will move, but then he is secretly sneaking more of his stuff back into the house. My name is XXXXX XXXXX here, including the house and the mortgage, but because I depend on him for support he feels that he has as much right to be here. I can't make him leave (I tried once and it got nasty) so I have decided that I should leave. The problem is that I don't want to walk away and leave my good name and credit for him to ruin. My plan is to ask him to take over the mortgage, and I will sign over the house to him. I will do anything to get him off my back right now. I'm not sure if that is a good plan or not.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/20/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

What province is this please?

Is the title to the house in both your names?

Have you been to a family lawyer yet?

Customer: I live in Ontario.
Customer: The house, the mortgage, and all utilities related to the house are in my name only.
Customer: No, I haven't. I spoke to a police officer and he said that because my ex put money in the downpayment and has been contributing to mortgage payments that he has every right to be here.
debra thal :

The police officer has no knowledge of the law and no right to make such a statement.

The fact is that in Ontario common law spouses do not have property rights.

For this reason there is a presumption that what is in your name belongs to you.

That presumption can be rebutted if your ex-spouse can show that he contributed to the value of the property either financially or though contributions of effort.

If he did they he will be able to successfully claim an interest in the house.

At the same time ( and the police office should know this but they often don't) because you are common law spouses and are not legally married that house is not considered to be a matrimonial home and for this reason has no right to possess it even if he has a claim to an interest in it.

Because there are children and your rely on him for spousal support you have to proceed carefully.

For this reason it's not a good idea to move out with the kids at least before you get some legal advice from a family lawyer. In fact, if they are his kids too he can stop you from moving the kids. It's not lawful to move the kids without the other parent's permission unless there is a Court order allowing this. It could be considered to be parental abduction.

It's most assuredly not OK to move out and leave the kids as it would be giving him custody.

As well, as your name is XXXXX XXXXX and on the mortgage until the title is transferred and the bank releases you from the mortgage you have no protection in terms of your debt to the bank. If he defaults the bank can come after you so long as your name is XXXXX XXXXX mortgage.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-268-8326 or(NNN) NNN-NNNN(within the GTA)

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx

Customer: Hi
Customer: It sounds like you are saying that I have no options. All I would like to know is what my legal options are, I can't really afford a lawyer right now but it seems like I can't avoid it. Thank you for the phone number, I called and I got the name of a lawyer. I will be contacting him soon.
debra thal :

It's not that you don't have options but some of the options are expensive. But that means they are expensive for him too. He will want to avoid legal fees as much as you do.

Sometimes fear of legal fees causes people to settle so that the lawyers aren't the only ones who end up winning.

As well, you can self-represent, if needed down the road. It's just hard to do that.

But, it's possible.

Customer: Point taken, but I just feel severely trapped right now. It's not just that I'm looking for any easy way out, but a viable one that's fair would be good enough. I just want to get away from this person, not only for my sake but for my children too.
debra thal :

I understand.

If I were you I would get some free legal advice and then consider having a lawyer write one non-threatening but clear letter.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I was hoping for too. I saw a lawyer but he told me he is not taking new clients, I'm not sure why he was recommended to me. All he told me was that I was within my right to put him out and I should call the police if he doesn't leave. I have done that before, the police are not interested if there is no physical contact. So, basically I'm back to square one and it looks like I'm going to have to leave after all. I am not interested in any confrontation or upsetting my children any further. The stress of it all is just debilitating.

Debra, Lawyer
There are lots of lawyers and many are wanting new clients badly and will do more for less money.

You just have to persist in finding one.