Hello I am from Honduras and been living in USA for 22 years,

Customer Question
my husband is from Cuba...
Hello I am from Honduras and been living in USA for 22 years, my husband is from Cuba but he is an american citizen already, we would like to move to Calgary Alberta, we have family living there for many years, I been trying to legalize my status here, but with the new laws is kind of imposible for me and my sisters, please help me
my [email protected] ph XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

Do you have adult children living in Canada?

Customer:

yes but they are nephews and nieces

debra thal :

I meant your children.

Nieces and nephews cannot sponsor you unfortunately.

To apply for permanent residency in Canada you have to fall within one of the different classes or categories that gives you the grounds you need to immigrate to Canada.

From your information it would seem that the only way you may be able to apply is under the skilled worker class.

Here is the link that will provide you with all the information you need about this process:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

When you read all the information you will see that there are basically two ways people can apply under this category. One way is if their occupation falls within the list that they provide you.

The second way is if one of you gets a job offer and then this job falls within the categories and levels that is listed on the National Occupation List.

You will also see that there is an eligibility test you can take to see it looks like you are eligible. Only one of you has to be eligible and the other can come as part of that application.

Another idea would be for you to try and come here first on a temporary work permit.

If you are going to try and come to Canada by this route then you will need a job offer first.

The way it works isn't really that complicated.

What has to happen is this:

Your potential employer has to apply to the government for what is called a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). What this entails is the government reviewing the job market to ensure that there is a shortage of Canadians to fill your job. You cannot take a job away from a Canadian. So, you have to have a skill, or work experience, in an area where Canada needs workers and there aren't' enough Canadians who have that skill or work experience.

If that's the case then the government will give the employer a positive LMO.

Then you can apply for the work permit.

You will need to prove your credentials and also need to undergo background, medical and criminal checks.

If all goes well you will get the permit.

Here's the webpage that has all the information you will need including the forms and information about the fees:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

If you are here on a work permit for two years then you can apply for permanent residency under what is called the Canada Experience Class.

Here's the link for that webpage:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

Unfortunately, it's not usually possible to apply from a country where you do not have legal status so it may be that you will need to apply from Honduras.

Customer:

it's possible to apply for assylum inside of canada?

Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Sorry about the delay. The chat featured seemed to have temporarily malfunctioned so I ended it. We can continue posting up and back.

You cannot apply for refugee status from the US.

Canada and the US have a refugee agreement which basically states that you must apply for refugee status in the first safe country and so as you are in the US you would be obliged to apply for refugees status from the US.