My neighbors and I are continually being flooded out on our…

Customer Question
My neighbors and I are...
My neighbors and I are continually being flooded out on our street by a residential housing developer that is building roads and ditches without planning board our town permits. All the water is flowing to the small ditch on our street and floodind yards and gardens when raining. One neighbors have had all his new soil and grass seed washed awy because he was trying to build up his property. Another has listed his for sale because he can't deal with the water from this illegal development. We would like to sue the developer and the town for failing to protect our homes. Do we have a chance? Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/18/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

It's not clear whether you can sue the town or not. That is a complex issue and will depend on many factors.

If you are suffering damages as a result of the developer than you would most likely be able to sue the developer successfully.

The pictures are a good start though ultimately you will need to retain an expert to prepare a full report.

As a starting point you should sit down, face to face, with a lawyer. If you are thinking of suing the town and this is a small town it may be best to consult with a lawyer either in the next town over or in the closest larger city.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx

debra thal :

I received a message that you posted a reply but your post has not appeared. Can you try again please?

debra thal :

Thanks