I am in the process of doing my taxes for fiscal year 2010.

Customer Question
I was let go from...
I am in the process of doing my taxes for fiscal year 2010. I was let go from a job where I worked for 10 years and went through a lawyer who negotiated my severence package for me. Am I able to claim this on my income tax? If so what line do I put it under? Thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
You must claim whatever is income on your Income Tax Return. It's just part of income.

Is that what you are asking?

Thanks for the reply, actually I was asking if I could claim the fees that I had to pay to the lawyer in order to negotiate my severance?

Oh. Sorry about that.

You can write it off.

You put in on line 232 which is for other deductions.

There is a supporting schedule that comes in here and the first line there is for legal and accounting fees.

Let me know if you need further clarification.