I have a 4 year old step son who I believe is not being cared…

Customer Question
I have a 4 year...
I have a 4 year old step son who I believe is not being cared for properly. For example he comes about 50% of the time with poop on his bum, and dirt on his face. This past Friday He came with a large sore on his face which I was informed that he had got it on Monday after looking at his face we noticed that there were 3 small spots on his chin as well. He had a fairly large cut on his arm that appeared badly infected. Saturday my partner took him to the ER in our town only to find out that the sore on his face was Impetigo. This child seems be be ill a lot of the time. I have some concers about how he is being cared for. We know that she will not willingly do a change of custody. I am wondering what the quickest way to do this is. We do not have a lot of extra money but we do not want to see this happening to our child. Any adive on how we can go about this quickly and cost effectively would be great. We currently live In Ontario.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

There is no way to do this quickly. You are talking about removing a mother's child from her custody. This will be slow and if you use lawyers it will be very expensive so you need to understand that from the start.

The Court will based its decision on what it considers to be in the best interests of the child. So, you will need to have evidence to back up your fears. If you can get a doctor to say that impetigo is from neglect or the cuts are etc that would be helpful.

You should take pictures of the child if the child is coming to you with all these cuts and sores.

It would be a good idea to take the child to a doctor each time you have these concerns as well.

Your next step is to consult with a family lawyer.

If you give me your province I can provide some suggestions on finding a lawyer if you like.