I am bipolar, and although my condition is fairly well controlled…

Customer Question
I am bipolar, and although...
I am bipolar, and although my condition is fairly well controlled I occasionally still have "episodes" during which time I am unable to work.
At my most recent job (one that I was able to keep for the longest span in years) as a journalist at a weekly newspaper I made the mistake of disclosing the nature of my illness to my superiors, who in turn mentioned it to someone at the corporate branch. My local boss sent me several e-mails and I talked to him about it and he promised me my position and said we would work with and around the disorder at a local level.
A few days later I received a notice that the company required me to apply for short term disability and go through all the paperwork and process, which would be without pay. It had been two weeks at that time and I was preparing to come back to work. My local boss knew this, yet still insisted on disability so a contingency plan could be put in place in the event that I have another "episode." This is not normal practice.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/17/2010
Lawyer: Yossarian (user name), Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Yossarian (user name)

It does appear that you are a victim of discrimination and that you were constructively dismissed by your employer. You should immediately consult with an employment law with human rights experience.

I also suggest that even though you resigned, that you apply for Employment Insurance immediately. If your application is denied after telling your story, you should appeal.

Your provincial or territiorial law society's lawyer referral service can provide you with names of local employment law lawyers with human rights experience.

Edited by Joseph Thompson on 6/17/2010 at 12:38 PM EST