I am being laid off but I have been told that my position…

Customer Question
I am being laid off...
I am being laid off but I have been told that my position is not redundant. I am also pregnant. do I have any recourse.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/16/2010
Lawyer: Yossarian (user name), Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Yossarian (user name)

Had you asked for maternity leave already?

Why was your employment terminated? What does it say on your record of employment?

How long were you employed with the company?

Did you receive a severance package?

I haven't received it yet as I was just told today that I was being laid off as of June 30th due to cost cutting.
I have been with them for 4 years
I will recieve a severance package.

You should immediately consult with an employment law lawyer. When you meet with your lawyer, he\she can review the severance package. It is possible that your lawyer may be able to negotiate better than are currently being offered by the company.

You should also immediately apply for Employment Insurance even without your record of employment.

In my view, you should not sign the severance package until it is reviewed by your lawyer.

Your provincial or territorial law society can provide you with names of local employment law lawyers.