i was fired last friday for just cause because i had a verbal…

Customer Question
i was fired last friday...
i was fired last friday for just cause because i had a verbal confontaion with another worker.i had a written warning four months ago for same reason in both case,s i was responding to verbal words from another worker.i never had a argument in which i actually abused someone first. i suffer anexity and if someone confronts me i react but never voilent i told mt employer i suffered anixety and explained the effects many times to my fellow workers.when i was fired i was reciving treatmeant for a wcb injury and am still getting physio which means light duties so who would employ me now what can i do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/16/2010
Lawyer: D.A.M., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
D.A.M.
D.A.M., Lawyer

A just cause termination really does not have recourse unless you can directly challenge the alleged cause underlying the firing. In this case it appears you freely admit to the conduct that you were terminated for and that you were already written up about this conduct.

While employers have an obligation to accommodate medical conditions to the best of their abilities I'm not convinced that a case can be made that accommodation under these circumstances would be required because of the damage to the overall working environment situations such as this create.

While it would probably not be a good idea to use this employer as a reference once you make some progress in your treatment, I would hope that such incidents would not keep occurring at other places of work.

There is a lot of stress going around in work environments these days but one must find the skills and methods necessary to keep the level of stress from spilling over into the work environment (let alone one's home life). It may be a good idea to speak to an anger-management or stress-management therapist to see if you can find ways to cope with high-stress situations without having to react (or controlling your reaction).

Unfortunately, from what you've indicated, I don't see recourse against the employer unless there is some basis for undermining the "cause" relied upon for the termination.

Regards.